James Bennett wrote:
> Except I can't help thinking this is an awfully arbitrary distinction
> to draw. In effect you're saying that nearly every question about an
> object should be answerable by interrogating it directly, *except* for
> "what's a URL I can use for you?"

May be I can explain this distinction with an example.

We once had two different web sites about "events". They both had a
"core" set of models but each one had their own set of views & urls. So
for a core Event model a question "what's your URL" just didn't make
sense. It had two different URLs depending on the project it was
imported in.

That said, I do see a value in having a default URL (and a default
__unicode__ for that matter) simply because it's useful in many (or even
majority?) of real-world cases.

So Yuri, Patrick, this method is optional so there's not technical need
to deprecate it. This discussion really is about how it should be done,
not if.