Jyrki Pulliainen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> is there a particular reason why Lighttpd documentation advices user
> to create a separate script (for example, an init script) to create
> the socket with manage.py? Why not let the Lighttpd take care of
> spawning processes as needed?
>
> If no-one is against it, I could file a ticket about this and write
> the new documentation
>
> - Jyrki

We use Lighttpd to serve a number of Django based projects, and I think
we tend to use a restart script to spawn sprockets for development and
staging sites, but let Lighttpd spawn sockets for live sites. We found
that we needed to kill processes of non-production sites in order to see
the effect of code changes. A server restart wasn't an option at the
time as we were mixing live and staging sites on the same box (though
we've moved away from this!)

Another point to consider is whether a site will start automatically
when the server starts if it relies on a user created script.

- Stephen