On Wed, Oct 7, 2009 at 6:50 AM, Kevin Teague <ke...@bud.ca> wrote:

> On Oct 6, 1:43 am, Simon Willison <si...@simonwillison.net> wrote:
>>
>> Option 6 would be welcome if anyone has any ideas.
>
> Do what Grok does:
>
> $ grokproject newapp
> $ cd newapp
> $ ./bin/test
> Running tests at level 1
> Total: 0 tests, 0 failures, 0 errors in 0.000 seconds.
>
> That is, if it's a fresh project, and no code has been written, why
> are there already tests?

As I indicated in my message, there are integration tests - we can
validate that the default collection of applications has been
installed correctly. This isn't an issue straight after startproject
is run, but any configuration by the end user could potentially break
something - for example, removing the app-based template loader would
effectively break the admin.

> Another way to make testing more popular in Django-based apps would be
> to expand the intro tutorial to briefly show how a test is created and
> run - that would certainly raise the awareness of the testing
> facilities available.

This is certainly on the TODO list. Volunteers welcome.

> Or additionally inject some boilerplate test
> suites into a new project when one runs 'django-admin.py
> startproject' (e.g. the Grok and BFG project creation tools create a
> bare-bones tests.py file in the root of the project directory).

As of v1.1, we do this, providing an example of a unit test and a doctest..

Yours,
Russ Magee %-)