Hi folks --

Yup, it's that time again!

For the tl;dr-ers, here's the short version:

* We're aiming to release Django 1.2 on March 9th, 2010.
* We'll begin voting on features for 1.2 very soon (today or tomorrow).
* We're modifying the process slightly from last time; in particular,
we're going to be *much* more hard-nosed about dropping features to
meet deadlines. Practically, this means no more "must-haves" this time
'round.

Full details, and a full schedule, are at
http://code.djangoproject.com/wiki/Version1.2Roadmap (thanks to Russ;
he wrote most of that).

I do want to take a moment to highlight what we're doing different
this time around. As y'all probably noticed, we missed the 1.1 release
date rather badly (i.e. by nearly 3 months). That's not a good thing;
if we're going to be doing date-based releases, we need to actually
hit the dates we specify.

The main problem, it seems, was that we simply put too much weight
into the idea of "must-have" features. Those are really hard to pull
off in all-volunteer communities such as ours; you never know when a
contributor will change jobs, or go through an acquisition, or have a
baby, or just simply lose interest and wander off.

Really, the only way to deal with this pragmatically is to drop the
idea of "must-have" features. If you think a feature should be in
v1.2, you need to commit to working on it. That's it.

We're still gathering feature requests for 1.2 (see
http://code.djangoproject.com/wiki/Version1.2Features), but we're
going to work voting differently. Instead of categorizing features
into "must-have / should-have / pony" categories, we're going to
simply mark them high/medium/low priority, meaning:

* High Priority: A core developer is actively engaged in the ticket.
* Medium Priority: A core developer is interested in the ticket, but
requires someone to do the work.
* Low priority: No core developer has declared a specific interest,
but if a good implementation appears, that may change.

The voting process plus the use of "High Priority" rather than "Must
have" aims to reflect the reality of Django development. Any finished
code will be committed, regardless of schedule. If a feature still
needs some design work, that's fine - as long as the work is done by
the feature freeze.

Again, for all the full details read
http://code.djangoproject.com/wiki/Version1.2Roadmap. I'll be watching
email and on IRC all day to answer questions, and I'll have a form for
voting on 1.2 features up shortly; watch this space.

Jacob