On Oct 11, 4:31 pm, Russell Keith-Magee <freakboy3...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> If you can name a company that has produced more in-house Django
> applications than the number that is publicly available for download
> off the internet, I'll eat my hat. :-)

That isn't the right measure. I'm just saying that the total number of
applications out there is larger than the  total number of publicly-
available applications like "django-registration", "django-tagging"
etc. and it seems reasonable to posit that the larger the population,
the greater the likelihood of a clash.

> Obviously, it isn't as simple as that - there are _some_ ambiguous
> names out there in the wild. I'm just pointing out one of the reasons
> that name clashes aren't that big a problem is that basic
> Google-driven self interest acts as an incentive to keep the namespace
> relatively unambiguous.
[snip]
> If this were a common problem, you wouldn't need to prod django-users
> - it would already be a recurring theme. To pick on a different ticket
> of similar vintage: the question of how to replace/modify/change the
> User model (#3011) comes up regularly. Some people want to allow email
> addresses as the username; some want to replace firstname/lastname
> with a single "name" field; there are many other requests on the same
> theme. The fact that the question is repeatedly asked indicates that a
> problem of some form exists.
>
> However, I can't recall the last time that someone asked the general
> question of how to avoid a name collision between their two tagging
> (or whatever) applications.

I don't recall a lot of moaning about Django importing magic and the
workarounds that have to be sometimes put in place. Simon's just
posted about the fact that there's no good place to put execute-once
code for setting things up, and I've not seen a lot of moaning about
that. It doesn't mean it's not a problem - he's got a perfectly good
point. It's just that people get on with working around it as they
appear to have no easy alternative.

I'm not pushing a boulder up a steep slope for this to be fixed as
I've scratched my own itch in this area. I'll leave it to others to
raise the point if they feel the need to, but given your view I think
you could just go ahead and mark #3591 as "wontfix" because that
effectively appears to be the situation. There are, I think, numerous
other tickets which have been closed as "wontfix" because "it's not a
real problem".

Regards,

Vinay Sajip