On Sun, Oct 11, 2009 at 11:15 PM, Russell Keith-Magee <
freakboy3...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 12, 2009 at 7:15 AM, Zachary Voase
> <zacharyvo...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> >
> > On 11 Oct 2009, at 23:39, Joshua Russo wrote:
> >
> >> How about the possibility of an advanced tutorial, to highlight more
> >> advanced features.
> >
> > That's pretty much what the Django Book is for.
>
> No, it really isn't.
>
> Firstly, The Django Book is an excellent resource, but it's not part
> of the Django project itself. Django's documentation is Django's
> documentation. Jacob and Adrian (and others) have written an excellent
> book, and I have no objections to people suggesting that newcomers
> should read that book, but it isn't part of Django's documentation.
>
> Secondly, the Django Book isn't a tutorial. It's an excellent set of
> explanatory notes of some advanced features, but it isn't a
> walkthrough of a specific worked example.
>
> I aspire to Django having the best documentation of any product out
> there - open source or otherwise. Having a comprehensive tutorial is
> part of that. Django's tutorial has said "more coming soon" for over 4
> years, and there is a lot that could (nay, should) be explained in a
> tutorial that we simply don't cover at the moment.
>
> As for whether a complete rewrite is necessary - I'm happy to call
> that a bikeshed. The current tutorial has served us well for four
> years, but it is a simple example. If that simple example doesn't
> provide enough scope for improvement, and Rob et al can come up with a
> good replacement - one that starts equally simple, but can become
> complex over time - I'm happy to entertain that proposal.
>
> Rest assured, we're not going to replace a good tutorial with a bad
> one. The tutorial won't be replaced until it is a worthy replacement
> for what we already have.
>
> Yours,
> Russ Magee %-)

I think I really am a +1 on maintaining a simple tutorial like we have now.
I feel that people may get discouraged if they have to spend too much time
to get to the end of a big complex tutorial, when all they want to do is to
get their toes wet. There may be some fine tuning that can be done to the
current design or perhaps a different design that may be a better fit, but I
think we should keep the introduction concise.

Conversely, I also believe that there is a need to demonstrate more advanced
features of the framework. I haven't heard anyone say yea or nay to the
addition of an advanced tutorial that I briefly suggested, but I just wanted
to give a little more support to it.

Josh