It's Python which doesn't allow dots in the name of a package,
although it's Django which is putting the name of your project name on
sys.path. This was intentional, see the django.core.management
package:

    # Import the project module. We add the parent directory to
PYTHONPATH to
    # avoid some of the path errors new users can have.

To fix the code is easy enough. But to update all of the relevant
documentation and to require all existing Django deployments to have
to migrate their project structures (or change all of their imports)
to upgrade is a much bigger issue to tackle. In the long run, this
would be a good change, since the current situation is confusing and
can cause a lot of problems - but I think it will take a fair bit of
effort and championing to fix it.