If this question would be more appropriate for django-users, please
let me know.  I ask it here because I suspect that the answer to my
question may require someone with a fairly deep understanding of the
ORM internals.

I have a legacy oracle database that I would like to use with the
Django ORM.  Unfortunately, the security for this database is
implemented using oracle users and roles, making it necessary for each
user to have their connection to the database use their own
credentials, which translates into a connection for each user.
Although I can retrieve the credentials from the user and keep them in
session, it is not apparent to me how to configure the ORM to
appropriately use them.  Unfortunately, changing the database security
model is not an option.

The research I have done seems to indicate that this mode of operation
is not supported.

Am I correct or am I missing something?

If it is not officially supported, is there a way it could be made to
work safely?  We are already using a custom version of django 1.1.1,
so I'm not opposed to making some additional custom changes, though I
prefer to avoid them.

Alex and Russell, would the work you have done in the multi-db branch
have any bearing on this use case?

--
Warren Smith