In light of ticket #11663 (http://code.djangoproject.com/ticket/
11663), and the consequent discussion on a thread on this group
(http://groups.google.com/group/django-developers/browse_thread/thread/
491619541ba6ac75).... it doesn't seem like there was any resolution on
the topic of having an optional keyword argument to automatically
remove a file when "replaced" via a new upload.

I understand the point of view concerning the impossible knowing of
the file being "free" for removal.  But... Is there any opposition to
getting innovative with this?

In Malcom's words (taken from the previous thread, linked above):

> So knowing when it is safe to delete files requires domain-specific
> knowledge.

This is true, but, aren't *I* the one to give such a commission to the
FileField?  It seems to me that I, as the developer and maintainer of
the server, should be able to provide instructions to the FileField
which constitute such "domain-specific knowledge."

If Django goes and tries to delete a file, but can't, then would it be
design-acceptable to have methods for dealing with the exception?   A
default catcher could just append those underscores like normal.

Ultimately, I fail to see the difference between Django having an
option for *trying* to delete the file automatically, and me going and
hacking up the silly thing just to make it naively delete the file
anyway.  Omitting this functionality doesn't really "solve" any real-
world problem.  It simply refuses to make a decision about the
*existing* real-world problem of wanting to depend on a path to
provide a predictable filename.

Anyway, I don't want to go on and on for nothing.  If there's any more
info on this topic, I'd be welcome to reading more discussions or
tickets.  I'm rather in favor of having a declared spot for this
exception check to happen, so that it's officially documented where a
file delete / rename should happen.  Doing this on the outside of the
code just feels sloppy, no matter how I approach it.  Suggestions
welcome.

Tim