> This would be a break in tradition. We don't (or haven't in the past)
> done release notes for point releases, as they are normally only
> bugfixes and/or security updates.
>
> I can see three possiblities here:
>
>  1. Mark the feature as 'versionadded:1.2" in trunk; in the 1.1.X
> branch, mark it 'versionadded:1.1', but with an explanatory note
> clarifying that strictly, it's 1.1.2.

A bit hackish, but passable.

>  2. Mess around with the Sphinx processor and make it display point
> release numbers but link to the minor release.

A big -1 if documentation can only be built with a custom version
of Sphinx, making it harder for others to build docs. A -0 if
it's something in stock Sphinx that can be twiddled via
configuration/setup.

>  3. Actually create a 1.1.2 release notes document, whose sole purpose
> is to document this extraordinary feature.
>
> I don't have any preference on the color of this particular bikeshed.
> If pressed, I'd probably say option 3.

As Luke said, "the circumstances which created the need for this
are rare", so #3 sounds like the right way to handle it -- an
anomalous trigger gets an anomalous "break in tradition"... It
also sounds like what first came to Luke's mind as a solution,
making it three minds agreeing with no dissenting suggestions.

-tim