Hi all,

Alex Gaynor's GSoC project to add multiple database support to Django
is on the final straight. The only piece of the puzzle that is left is
updating contrib.gis - but this hopefully won't require any major
changes outside of the gis tree itself.

Therefore, I'd like to call for feedback and testing of the branch.

Code is available on github:

http://github.com/alex/django/tree/multiple-db

It is also available on Django's own subversion repository in the
soc2009/multidb branch:

svn co http://code.djangoproject.com/svn/django/branches/soc2009/multidb

This is a very big change to the query engine, but unless your code
relies on the internals of sql.Query, you *should* be able to switch
to using the branch without making any changes to your code. The
release notes give the details of the changes that you need to be
aware of:

http://code.djangoproject.com/browser/django/branches/soc2009/multidb/docs/releases/1.2.txt

If you want to run Django's test suite, you will need to make some
modifications to your test settings file. If you don't make these
changes, you will get failures in the multiple_databases tests. See
the relevant section in the contribution docs for details on the
changes you need to make:

http://code.djangoproject.com/browser/django/branches/soc2009/multidb/docs/internals/contributing.txt

To the best of our knowledge, the full test suite is currently passing
for all databases (except for those known pre-existing failures under
MySQL InnoDB and Oracle). Any discoveries to the contrary will be
gratefully received.

If you actually want to try using multiple databases, basic usage
instructions are here:

http://code.djangoproject.com/browser/django/branches/soc2009/multidb/docs/topics/db/multi-db.txt

What should you expect to see? Well, a while back, Malcolm described
Django's query framework as having the plumbing, but not the porcelain
for multiple database support. At the risk of stretching the metaphor,
this branch adds the porcelain, but not the polished oak seat to go on
top. The settings and API to define multiple databases and to direct
queries to a specific database have all been added by this branch.
However, there isn't any explicit API level support for the common use
cases for multiple databases like sharding or master/slave setups. I
see adding these wrappers as tasks for the broader community, possibly
with a view to inclusion in trunk in v1.3 or later.

So - feedback welcome. It's a big patch, so the more testing we can
get pre-merge, the better.

Yours,
Russ Magee %-)