> The way i see it (which may be wrong), this is not a proposal to make
> the request object global or replace/refactor the contrib.site app. In
> fact, some of the use cases mentioned strike me as things that would
> require overriding the default get_absolute_url method anyway. It
> seems to me like everyone is arguing over things outside the scope of
> this proposal.

Actually the fundamental disagreement (as far as I can tell) is over
whether the absolute URL should be built using information pulled from
various application settings (Site module, settings file, etc) or
information pulled from the currently active request.

In my opinion, using the Site module and settings files is damn
annoying. I never use the Site module, and in my experience having to
change the "FRONTEND_URL" of your app every time you push to a
different environment is tedious and a frequent source of subtle
problems. Moreover, the request information in your current request
_should_ always be correct. If someone requests a non-canonical URL
you should redirect (CNAME, 301, etc) to the canonical URL. If your
load balancer isn't sending the correct headers then the load balancer
is broken, not Django.

That said, it sounds like there are a number of special cases where it
would be useful to override these settings. So maybe the best corse of
action is to try to use the configured Site information and fall back
on "RequestSite", which uses information from the currently active
request.

Thoughts?

Mike