On Tue, Dec 22, 2009 at 12:22 AM, Russell Keith-Magee
<freakboy3...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 22, 2009 at 8:00 AM, Simon Willison <si...@simonwillison.net>
> wrote:
>> I've made some changes based on the feedback in this thread:
>>
>> http://github.com/simonw/django/commit/802952bbb8b763e65ee545c6a8f39524b20e147c
>> "Use sha('signer' + secret_key + salt) to derive the key for use in
>> the
>> signature() method, addressing feedback from the django-developers
>> list"
>>
>> The default signature() method now looks like this:
>>
>>    def signature(self, value, salt=''):
>>        # Derive a new key from the SECRET_KEY, using the optional
>> salt
>>        key = sha_constructor('signer' + self.key + salt).hexdigest()
>>        return base64_hmac(value, key)
>>
>> The secret key (self.key here) is now never used directly. Instead, a
>> sha1 hash of the salt 'signer' plus the secret key plus any additional
>> salt is used as the key for the signature. sha1 is used here as
>> protection against weird key length extension attacks (like the one
>> that affected the Flickr API recently).
>>
>> http://github.com/simonw/django/commit/4ed44c2bce5000d6c78c3a26b84d08f636b3589c
>> "RAISE_ERROR now capitalised to emphasize that it is a constant"
>>
>> http://github.com/simonw/django/commit/20f3a693b99ec6af0f91eecb31046e8a07dc7151
>> "Signed cookies now automatically include the name of the cookie as
>> part of the salt"
>>
>> http://github.com/simonw/django/commit/68c52f0b995447d93bce1db486b23a27b918da73
>> "Moved get_cookie_signer in to utils.signed"
>>
>> New patch is attached to the ticket. Is there anything else I need to
>> address before checking it in?
>
> As far as the patch itself is concerned, looks good to me. My only
> other request would be a serving of dogfood - if we're going to
> include a signed cookie module, it would be nice to prove that it can
> actually be used by actually using it.
>
> Russ %-)

As an FYI Eric Florenzano has said that he asked a friend of his,
Matthew Dempsky, to take a look at this (from a security perspective),
he's the gent who found the security hole in djbdns.

Alex

--
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your
right to say it." -- Voltaire