I think umovi makes a great point here when he mentions that templates are
often used for things that are not HTML.   "Be decoupled from HTML" is one
of the core design philosophies listed in the docs.

I'm not really advocating for or against adding a truncate filter, but I do
think that "you should be using CSS instead" is an invalid argument against
it.