For the method to be available conveniently, I would have to make it into a
single class, and then subclass all my other model classes from that. I
could do it, but if this is useful enough, it should be available by
default, without requiring every single person to write the method on their
own. Also, that solution would do nothing to various contrib and third-party
models.

--Jukka