Just to hit on another point that might have been missed by Alex's -0/1 is
that we don't have someone to pick the positions.

When evaluating meritocracy, we've traditionally had someone who was able to
do the selection. Some number of Jacob / Simon / Adrian / other commiter has
effectively vetted all current core commiters. The entire *point* of this,
is that we don't have someone who can properly do the selection. The only
person who can fill this role is Wilson. Outside of that, I think it would
make sense for a vote among people who feel they have a stake in the design
side of things and can fairly suggest someone get to vote that person in,
with BDFL blessing. The names that come to mind are those that have popped
up here and there. Jeff, Idan, Nathan, Bryan, the Grapelli team, etc. I, for
one, am willing to trust their judgement on someone who can lead this
design-czar selection process, if Wilson doesn't come out and name his
successor, as it were.

 -justin

(the above with the usual caveats recognizing Wilson's contribution & role)