On Mon, Feb 22, 2010 at 6:03 PM, Sayane <say...@gmail.com> wrote:
> It's not only about character restrictions on usernames. Some of developers
> want to use email as login (so we have to remove username and add unique
> option to email). Another example are english-only permissions. I would like
> to replace them with my own i18n permissions. Maybe someone needs something
> more complicated (for example authentication with external services, like
> twitter, facebook without creating a new, local user)?

A couple of things to keep in mind:

1) We know about the limitations, and we want to fix them.

2) No, seriously, we know about the limitations, and we want to fix them.

3) I wasn't kidding on the first two points.

As has been said several times in this thread, the limitations with
contrib.auth Users are well known, and they are something we want to
address -- in the Django 1.3 timeframe. Now is *not* the time to be
discussing this.

Yours,
Russ Magee %-)