Hello there,

I'm interested in allowing a particular filter I have to check the
context. Trolling for reasons for and against, and if it makes no
difference I'll file a ticket and provide some patches.

Its useful for me in cases where the thing I am processing has already
been processed before. Take for example a wikification filter, which
converts the string "[[some name]]" into "<a
href="url_to_some_object">some name</a>".

{{ comments.comment | mark_safe | markdown | wikification }}

I don't want to hit the database twice in situations where
wikification has already called upon a particular model instance, so
as I'm processing comments its nice to build a dictionary in the
context as a cache. However, since tags and not filters are privvy to
the context, currently, I'm stuck with throwing out all these neat
filters, and wrapping their functionality in a tag.

The culrpit class is FilterExpression.resolve(). If I read it right,
its already manipulating the context anyway so there's no additional
load to pass it optionally to the filter function, if it asks.

-Steve