Hi Owen --

I'd agree that static asset handling in Django needs to be improved,
though like you I'm not sure of the correct direction for this to go
in.

If you'd like to look into it, a good place to start would be by
looking at the existing static asset management tools in the ecosystem
-- last I checked there were at least a half-dozen -- and evaluating
them and their differences. If there's a clear winner, we might start
looking at bundling it with Django.

Jacob