<djangoUsers>
I hope I understand your problem correctly, but authentication is
handled by your authentication backend, not your model. Your backend
can return anything you like (eg Foo) and that is what you'll get when
you call authenticate(). This object is given a .backend attribute by
django.contrib.auth, which is then used when you use
django.contrib.auth to login.
</djangoUsers>

Django's auth design is fine for a huge number of django developers, I
get the feeling that people here are skeptical that you have found an
architectural/design bug. If you're absolutely certain this isn't
possible for you, then keep pursuing this. But be wary that doing so
might distract a lot of people from other tasks, I hope it's worth it!

I like the idea of improving the exception raised when .backend is
missing. I think working on a patch to improve the exception raised
would be a perfectly sensible improvement to django.

Cheers,

Will