On Mon, Sep 27, 2010 at 5:46 PM, Luke Plant <l.plant...@cantab.net> wrote:
> On Mon, 2010-09-27 at 11:36 +0200, Patryk Zawadzki wrote:
>> With the risk of being ignored once again, I dare to link to a working
>> solution that does not need any changed to the framework itself (other
>> than perhaps including the factory class):
>>
>> http://gist.github.com/584106
> This looks rather good to me.  It may have been ignored before because
> it has no comments and some things are not immediately obvious.  For
> example, you are basically proposing that the concrete models are passed
> into view functions via URLconf, and from there are passed into any
> functions which need them, and so they would never actually need to be
> imported by the app that defines the abstract model.
>
> I for one would be much happier to not add any more machinery via Meta
> options. With some cleanup, and some documentation of this pattern, and
> possibly a better name, I think the AbstractMixin class you propose
> could be a good candidate for inclusion in core.
>
> Some notes:
> 1) it seems like line 15 in abstract.py should say 'abstract':'False',
> not 'True' - did I miss something?

It is there because I inherit from the .construct() result rather than
taking it directly as a solid class. This helps with debugging as all
the tracebacks show proper module for the model.

> 2) there would need to be some way of merging the concrete class's own
> Meta options with the abstract class's Meta options

True.

> 3) why do we need the _classcache?  Is the key used specific enough -
> what if two different apps both create 'MyCategory' based on
> 'CategoryFactory', using them in different situations?

I did it so there was no way to create two different mechanics for the
same model accidentally.

--
Patryk Zawadzki