On Mon, Oct 4, 2010 at 10:11 AM, Laurent Luce <laurentluc...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I added the localflavor for Belgium as my first contribution. I would
> like to contribute more code wise. I looked at the tickets with
> milestone 1.3 and with no patch. It is hard to know what is critical
> and where help is the most needed.
>
> Can someone tell me what tickets require immediate help and are not
> too complicated for a new contributor. I don't mind spending 2-3 days
> before Oct 18th. I have been using Django for 2 years and I am quite
> familiar with the basics like views, models, templates and forms.
>
> Please let me know.

First of all -- thanks for offering to help out!

Unfortunately, there is no simple answer to the "what is critical" question.

We try to ship Django releases that don't contain any bugs that cause
unexpected data-loss or major system crashes at runtime -- they're the
only type of bug that we genuinely consider critical, and we postpone
releases if anyone reports them. So, there *shouldn't* be any of those
bugs in our system.

Beyond that, it's difficult to point you at a list of "important
tickets". Anything that is currently open is a candidate for being
closed; the tickets that get closed are the ones that people actively
pursue to completion.

So - what should you do? Well, here's the general list of tasks that
need attention:

 * Any ticket in the unreviewed state [1] needs to be verified. See if
you can reproduce the problem described. If you can, move the ticket
to Accepted. If you can't, close the ticket. If you think there is a
major design issue in question, move to Design Decision Needed. Ask
around on IRC if you need guidance on how to treat a given ticket. If,
in the process of verifying the problem, you can construct a test case
that is integrated with Django's own test suite, you get bonus points;
upload a patch containing the test when you mark the ticket accepted.

 * Any ticket in the accepted state that doesn't already have a patch
[2], needs a patch. Try your hand at fixing the problem.

 * Any ticket in the accepted state that has a patch, but isn't marked
"needs docs", "needs tests" or "needs improvement" [3] probably needs
a review by someone. Review the patch; if it seems like the right fix
for the problem, and it has tests and docs (as required), move it to
RFC.

 * Any ticket in the accepted state that *is* marked "needs docs" [4],
"needs tests" [5] or "needs improvement" [6] indicates that there is
work to be done. Fix the problem, drop the flag.

[1]
http://code.djangoproject.com/query?status=new&status=assigned&status=reopened&order=priority&stage=Unreviewed

[2]
http://code.djangoproject.com/query?status=new&status=assigned&status=reopened&has_patch=%211&order=priority&stage=Accepted

[3]
http://code.djangoproject.com/query?status=new&status=assigned&status=reopened&needs_better_patch=%211&needs_tests=%211&needs_docs=%211&has_patch=1&order=priority&stage=Accepted

[4]
http://code.djangoproject.com/query?status=new&status=assigned&status=reopened&needs_docs=1&has_patch=1&order=priority&stage=Accepted

[5]
http://code.djangoproject.com/query?status=new&status=assigned&status=reopened&needs_tests=1&has_patch=1&order=priority&stage=Accepted

[6]
http://code.djangoproject.com/query?status=new&status=assigned&status=reopened&needs_better_patch=1&has_patch=1&order=priority&stage=Accepted

These queries reveal some pretty long ticket lists, which still leaves
the issue of which one to pick.

[2]-[6] can be filtered by milestone, which will reduce the ticket
count a little; the milestone isn't a guaranteed marker that an issue
is important, but it usually means that *someone* thinks it is
important.

Any ticket with lots of discussion, or a long CC list probably
indicates that there are lot of people interested. This is also a
reasonable indication that a ticket is worth looking into.

Other than that -- work on whatever interests you. Pick a component
where you feel comfortable, and use that component to filter the Trac
queries I gave.

As for the October 18th deadline -- that's a deadline for major
feature inclusion. For 1.3, this is looking like #12012, #12991, and
maybe #6735 and #12323. If you want to help out with these tickets,
test the candidate patches, and check the mailing lists for any recent
discussions about issues still needing resolution.

After that date, focus will move to smaller features and bug fixes
until the end of November. Past that date, we will move to focussing
on purely bug fixes until the release early in the new year.

Yours,
Russ Magee %-)