On 10/25/2010 04:33 PM, Russell Keith-Magee wrote:
  * The problem with messages is a big one -- probably even a
show-stopper if we can't find a way to reconcile the general use case
that it represents (i.e., we don't just need a fix for
contrib.messages  -- we need to explain how/why the problem exists,
and provide a consistent approach for analogous problems)

I apologize in advance if I missed some important bits of the conversation — I'm on vacation right now :-).

Why can't we teach messages middleware to just explicitly bake a response and call it a proper solution? By adding `force_bake` to the HttpResponse class itself we effectively declare that *any* HttpResponse can be lazy and middleware that expects some side-effects from a response has to bake it.

Sure it must be documented that middleware forcing response baking should work after the ones that don't.