On Thu, Nov 25, 2010 at 7:46 AM, Russell Keith-Magee
<russ...@keith-magee.com> wrote:
> However, that doesn't mean we're completely prevented from making
> change. We could make this change under two circumstances. Either:
[snip]
>  b) We need to declare that the current behavior to be a bug. We can
> break backwards compatibility to correct behavior that is clearly
> wrong. I haven't fully thought through the consequences here, but I
> think the combination of the footprint of affected cases, combined
> with the side effects of having dangling connections and transactions
> might almost be enough to convince me that can invoke the bug clause
> to break backwards compatibility. If you (or anyone else) has any
> opinions on this, I'd be interested in hearing them.

Unless there are objections, I'm going to accept this approach and
check in a change based on Shai's latest -bugfix patch.

More info:

I spent some time with both of Shai's latest patches and all the
Django code I have access to [1] and I can't find a single case where
the "treat this as a bugfix" approach causes breakage in practice. In
a few places it *does* break work-arounds -- thinks like custom
@commit_on_* decorators -- but in all those cases those are people
working around the previous behavior.

I've also run Shai's -bugfix patch (modulo a few changes) in
production, and found it to reduce the load on the (PostgreSQL)
database without any ill side-effects.

So even though this is, technically, a backwards-incompatibility it's
(a) very minor and (b) carries a performance benefit especially on
heavily-loaded databases. This is enough for me to be willing to incur
the possibility of breakage.

Jacob

[1] All in all about 30 standalone apps and a 15 full-fledged Django sites.