I am very new to Django, and so I spend a lot of time in the documentation.
The other day I found something that I wished would have some more
clarification in retrospect, so I thought I would post it here.

My goal was to have the admin resize an image for me on upload to a standard
size.

While reading the docs for an Image
Fields<http://docs.djangoproject.com/en/1.2/ref/models/fields/#imagefield>I
saw the
*"height_field=None*, *width_field=None"  *and thought, "oh, if I set this,
then It will resize it for me." You'll probably all laugh at this point, but
that is what I thought, and yes it is very wrong. After asking on the rc I
was pointed to some third party thumbnail apps I could use. to get the
functionality I was looking for.

To save other new people with the same thought process you could put
something like, "You can't manually set the image size from the model field.
To manipulate the image size on upload or in a template view use a third
party thumbnail application."

The thing that would have saved me is basically, " 'Thumbnail apps' is the
terminology you are looking for". I would then merrily google my way around
trying to find one, rather than looking in the documentation.

I wouldn't suggest specifically naming apps, effectivly endorsing them
unless there is a clear choice on one that is always used and well
maintained. I am to new with Django to determine that.

Thanks,
James Hancock
**