On Thu, Jan 20, 2011 at 4:52 PM, Chris Beaven <smileych...@gmail.com> wrote:

> For good or bad, in Django a BooleanField is only ever supposed to be True
> or False.
> A default of False seems the logical equivalent to the default of '' on a
> not-null CharField.
>
> If you want a nullable boolean, you should use the separate
> NullBooleanField.

Except a nullable boolean isn't what's being asked for. Rather, a
BooleanField that raises an error on an attempt to save an instance that has
no value set is what's being asked for. The quiet always defaulting to False
does seem rather odd to me as well.

It was added here:

http://code.djangoproject.com/changeset/8050

I wonder if anyone can remember what the "interesting failures in subtle
ways on MySQL and SQLite" were? I'd hesitate to remove it without a better
understanding of why it was put in place, even though it does seem odd to
me.

Does removing it cause any test failures?

Karen