Yes and I am stating that a ValueQuerySet seems related enough to
QuerySet that in Django default behavior should allow them to work
with Django serializers, and I'm not the only one to have assumed it
would!  Using Django serializes you'll find that a ValueQuerySet is
missing attribute _meta when it goes to walk the model class def.
Well the reality is in AJAX situations we often don't want to send the
whole model and so being able to serialize a ValueQuerySet is a very
useful feature that Django is lacking for simplifying the query:

Well, we also have:

def enrollment_assignments(request, enrollment_id):
    """ AJAX call to get list of assignments for enrollment_id. """

    if request.is_ajax(): # Fetch Assignment List
        enrollment = Enrollment.objects.get(id__exact=enrollment_id)
        assignments = Assignment.objects.values('id',
'name').filter(course=enrollment.course).order_by('name')
        payload = json.dumps([a for a in assignments])
    else:
        payload = "Sorry, this URL is for AJAX calls only."
    return HttpResponse(payload,
                        content_type = 'application/javascript;
charset=utf8')
# End Def

Also I must have filled out the Django EuroCon 2011 Amsterdam form 4
or 5 times and I still haven't received any E-mails about this.  I
probably should have stayed with RAILS 4 years ago, but oh no Python
and Django Reinhardt .....

Well and Django has really fixed many of my initial concerns, I really
want to go, there is a bunch of stuff I missed in Amsterdam the last
time I went in 2007.  I would also like to give a presentation of
django-classcomm Http://classcomm.googlecode.com/ and http://classcomm.net/
as well as working on the Django development sprint following the
conference.

-Matteius