On Wed, Feb 23, 2011 at 9:02 AM, Niran Babalola <ni...@niran.org> wrote:
> Multiple databases and caches can currently be configured in one's
> settings file. It'd be nice if the same could be done with email
> connections. For example, Amazon's SES starts out new users with a low
> quota that they gradually increase, so splitting emails between SES
> and other connections to start out with is a useful approach.
>
> Has any work been done on this? A quick Google turns up nothing. I've
> written code that does most of this, but I wanted to make sure it has
> general appeal before getting it in shape for a proper patch.

I'm not aware of any work that has been done in this area.

As you have noticed, we've been moving away from singletons where
possible; DATABASES in Django 1.2, CACHES in Django 1.3.
EMAIL_BACKENDS would be a logical next step. Most of the email APIs
are already configured to allow for multiple email servers; it's
really just a matter of changing the way that email settings are
parsed in get_connection().

So -- if you want to polish this up for a 1.4 feature, it could be an
easy 1.4 feature.

Yours,
Russ Magee %-)