On Sunday, March 20, 2011, Pascal Germroth <funkyco...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I want to use X-Sendfile to serve some medium-sized files. There
> doesn't seem to be built-in support for this, although the soc2009/
> http-wsgi-improvements branch looks like somebody attempted to
> implement HttpResponseSendFile (although it seems to use the slow
> path).
>
> Building a proper response manually is not the problem (since the
> apache extension does the content-type guessing and length
> calculation) but I would like an automatic fall-back so `manage.py
> runserver` doesn't put out an empty response leaking the header but
> serves the file like a proper server should.
>
> So: is there a class that detects the server and uses the X-Sendfile
> header if supported, or a branch where core.handlers.wsgi.WSGIHandler
> supports X-Sendfile?

At present, there isn't any support for X-Sendfile. It is a feature
that has been discussed at many times in the past, including the
GSOC2009; however, nobody has ever carried it the last mile and got it
into trunk.

So; if you're interested, this is an area where you could make a contribution.

Yours,
Russ Magee %-)