On Sat, Apr 2, 2011 at 5:20 AM, Carl Meyer <c...@oddbird.net> wrote:

> On 04/01/2011 05:09 PM, Mikhail Korobov wrote:
>> Implementation:
>> https://bitbucket.org/kmike/django-widget-tweaks/src/0e9bac3c71bd/widget_tweaks/templatetags/widget_tweaks.py
>
> That's quite a neat app - I have some similar template filters
> implemented in some of my own projects. It doesn't cover the full range
> of Gregor's proposal -- but I actually think most of Gregor's proposal
> would be possible to implement outside Django. Perhaps we should
> consider whether it would be preferable to start it off that way, or
> focus the proposal more on where Django itself really needs to change.

I think this would be a good way to structure the project -- i.e.,
keep a clear conceptual separation between hooks and configuration
options that need to be added to Django in order to make an external
form rendering library possible, and the library that actually
exploits those hooks and configuration options.

Alex took a similar approach with the NoSQL work last year -- there is
a fairly clear separation between the "query refactor" changes, and
the "MongoDB module" that exploits those changes.

I don't think this needs to change the scope of Gregor's proposal very
much. If we change the focus to be just on the "Django side", we run
the risk of architecture astronauting. Developing a non-trivial
implementation that demonstrates the need for any given refactor helps
to clarify exactly why any given change to Django's APIs are needed.

Yours,
Russ Magee %-)