On Apr 7, 2:09 am, Russell Keith-Magee <russ...@keith-magee.com>
wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 7, 2011 at 1:47 AM, xtrqt <jan.rzepe...@gmail.com> wrote:
> However, we can't let you get away without asking at least one question [1]
> :-)
>
> [1]http://djangocaptions.com/post/647587573

Nice picture ;)

> Can you clarify your approach a little bit here? Are you proposing to
> completely deprecate the existing backend.creation interface in favor
> of a new "metaoperations" module? Or are you going to keep the old
> creation module and introduce a new module that contains the 'missing'
> operations like rename and alter? Or something else entirely?

I haven't made myself clear about that, but I would like to introduce
new features as an optional, 'publicly' available layer of API, old
SQL generating API would persist as long as we need it, but would
become
`internal internal` in comparison to `internal but almost public` new
API.

We could think about different scenario, like you suggested, that old
interface
is redirect to new one, but the major problem is that in new solution,
we
operate on higher abstraction level (it means we consider no "SQL"
abstract)
than in old one. So to make these redirection possible, we would
need,

sql_create_model ->       [model_definition] ->
     create_model ->      [created Model in database, not commited] ->
     get_sql_for_table -> [sql for Model] ->
     rollback transaction ->
[sql_code_returned]
quite much overhead, but not impossible.

So old functions [creation func.] will be preserved as they were
coded, so for
some time old applications that were using this old fashion of calls
would still work. On the other hand we should note that this should
be only for transition between 1.3-1.4. Applications written in 1.4,
should take in account only new interface. So we can refactor [I can
see my
role in that] creation code to match style of alteration code just
before
1.5 release.

And as I said before, Django use it's creation interface only in 2
places
so it shouldn't be hard to move this code to new call convention.

I hope I have answered all your questions.

I'm still open for new questions ;)

best regards
xtrqt