On Thu, Apr 07, 2011 at 12:38:07AM +0200, Johannes Dollinger wrote:
> The only downside is that you'll have to pick a name for the index –
> even if you don't really care (that's historically been a problem
> with `related_name`). But anyway, since Meta.unique_together
> probably cannot be deprecated any time soon, that's just a -0 from
> me.

You're right, having to choose a name for an index might seem weird.
Maybe the deprecation of unique_together wouldn't be necessary.

This reminds me of a certain comment in the related fields code, [1]

> I don't want to push my proposal into your GSoC project. It'd
> require more thought and discussion before I'd suggest that.
> To address your concern: fields are a central component of the ORM.
> But currently, instead of using methods to encapsulate field
> specific logic, everything is stuffed in a single monolithic class
> (Query), that has to know every possible field implementation. This
> leads to code that is hard to maintain and requires coupling with
> code that needs more control than standard fields (read:
> contenttypes).
> And since `add_lookup` and a bit of public API on Query would make
> it possible to implement most of your proposal without touching
> Django, I wanted to propose it soon enough to have a possible
> influence on design decisions.

There is certainly a point in this. On the other hand, moving some of
the SQL logic would make life harder for the guys fighting on the
non-relational backend front. I don't know much about the state of
this area though...

> Regardless, I look forward to CompositeFields. Good luck with your
> application!

Thanks. (-;

Michal

[1]