On 4/14/2011 10:30 AM, Jannis Leidel wrote:
On 14.04.2011, at 15:54, Ned Batchelder wrote:

On 4/14/2011 9:26 AM, Jannis Leidel wrote:
On 14.04.2011, at 14:41, Ned Batchelder wrote:

Does anyone else have any opinions on a direction forward to fix this problem?
At the very least I'd like to make a doc patch for 1.3.1 that explains the
fragility.
Yeah, a doc patch sounds like a good plan.

Jannis

Frankly, I'm disappointed by this approach.  Shall I draft the paragraph that says
roughly, "This feature of Django doesn't work and will fail silently.  Please find a
third-party alternative."?
This is hardly a new issue (see the age of the tickets), so we should only
clarify that using the recent gettext (0.18.1.1) won't work.

Having said that, are you at all interested in working on the Babel-based
solution?

Jannis

Precisely because of the age of the tickets, we know this isn't limited to recent gettext. The problem has been exacerbated by recent gettext, but in fact, it's been a problem with older gettext as well. Apostrophes in line comments have always caused issues, for example. There is no version of gettext that works well for Javascript. This feature of Django is simply broken. I expect as more users have gettext 0.18, we'll hear more about it, as you can already see from the recent uptick in activity on these old tickets.

I don't know what to write in the docs to explain to users that this doesn't work in Django. 1.3 will be used for a very long time by many people, I'd love to be able to tell them that Django can support localization of Javascript text out of the box.

Are there any other committers (or even a BDFL) with an opinion about this? We've gathered a -1 from a committer and three +1 (including mine) from the community.

Having said all that, I am very interested in making this work well in Django. If I can help with Babel, let me know.

--Ned.