Some concerns, even if I don't know much about the subject.

Are you sure that it's always appropriate to strip indentation? Some
companies (like us) use templates for other stuff than HTML. (like
plain text mail.) In this case the indentation is meaningful (not to
the translator, but important for the actual output.) I understand
that in most cases, it's ugly to have the indentation and leading/
trailing whitespace in the msgid, but it's not always appropriate to
strip these whitespace characters.

Personally, I prefer more explicit whitespace control [1].

Anyway, I don't know much about this subject

[1] http://jinja.pocoo.org/docs/templates/#whitespace-control