That's certainly a move in the right direction so +1 from me too. The
problem of
backporting correlates with how much time passes between any release
i.e. long time between releases gives bigger pita with backporting.
Even more so because you have several version control systems etc.
etc. (not going to rant about that fact :). What if we'd move release
dates so close that maybe backporting isn't an issue anymore?

What's really stopping us from ditching all but one DVCS and have
commit IDs/tags/whatever on a weekly basis that we advertise as "good"
or "stable" or whatever? Is Django so big and users are so cemented in
how to think about and use it that we must at all cost carry forward
the several decades old notion of having a fat release every now and
then (even if it goes down to several weeks, the procedures won't
change, just the backport pita might get a little smaller imo)? Don't
know, just thinking aloud ...