On 22 avr. 2011, at 21:31, Gabriel Hurley wrote:

> I noticed the "TODO" on the bottom of that page you linked... if you actually
> want to write something up for the docs about reviewing tickets (based on the
> discussion that's happened on the list the last few days) I'd suggest adding
> it to the /docs/howto/contribute section. Feel free to ping me if you get a
> patch written and I'll work with you on getting it in.

Hi Gabriel,

Indeed, when I read Jacob's "how to review unreviewed tickets", I thought it
was better than everything I had seen in the official docs.

The "contributing" docs are currently split between the following files:
        (1) faq/contributing.txt
                - reachable through Home > FAQ (link in the side block) >
Contributing
                - first question points to internals/contributing.txt, other
questions are variants of "why aren't you doing anything for my ticket?"
        (2) internals/contributing.txt
                - reachable through Home > Community: How to get involved
                - "many new contributors find this guide confusing or
intimidating at first"
        (3) howto/contribute.txt
                - reachable through a link at the beginning of
internals/contributing.txt

I think that the best entry point is (3). We should add a link to this document
in the index page, just before the link to (2). Furthermore, I would like to
improve it as follows:

        - The "Advice for new contributors" section mixes answers to "what can
I do?" and to "how should I do it?". As a consequence, the answer to "what can
I do" is not obvious for newcomers. We should give a very simple list ordered
by increasing difficulty: report issues, review new tickets, write patches,
review patches. (By the way, the first paragraph of (2) could be clarified in
similar ways.)

        - The doc should be updated to reflect the latest changes in Trac's
configuration, especially the "Type" and "Easy pickings" fields.

        - For each task, there should be a link to the appropriate section of
(2). In the long term, we could try to make the structure of (2) and (3)
similar. That would help to keep these docs synchronized and to avoid duplicate
information.

        - The small FAQ at the end should be merged in (1).

This will result in a fairly large change so I'd like to hear your thoughts
before working on this section of the documentation.

Best regards,

--
Aymeric Augustin.