On 6/3/2011 12:26 PM, Jannis Leidel wrote:
On 03.06.2011, at 04:15, Ned Batchelder wrote:

On 5/29/2011 5:40 AM, Jannis Leidel wrote:
On 15.04.2011, at 15:25, Ned Batchelder wrote:

Hi Ned,

As you say, Jannis has suggested that a Babel-based solution isn't that much
work.  But that work hasn't been done yet.  I don't know how much work it is.
It's going to be a larger change to the code base than my patch is, at least it
is if you properly consider that the Babel code is part of the change, even if
it isn't included in the patch.  But we don't have a Babel patch to consider,
only the suggestion that it won't be a big deal and it will work well.  That
suggestion remains to be proven.
I have good and some bad news. Last week I tried to put my money where my mouth
is and dived into Babel to replace the xgettext calls in makemessage with the
appropriate calls to Babel's message extraction/compilation functions. I've
found it to be pretty easy to get started at first but stumbled over differences
in the way the message catalogue update process works.

Contrary to Django it doesn't easily allow to "look for new strings and update
PO file" but needs a separate step to update an original POT, which is then to
be
manually merged with the existing PO file. Given the amount of glue code I had
write to work around it, I'm not longer convinced that the adoption of Babel
would be a sensible to fix to the Javascript message extraction problems.

I'm sorry to hear Babel didn't work out, it would have been liberating to have
a tool entirely within our grasp.
That said, I'd be happy to know whether there are any updates with regard to
your
Javascript lexer that I need to consider before merging your patches.
There were two fixes to jslex.py, I've added an updated patch to ticket #7704.
Let me know what I can do to help with the merge.  Thanks.
Great, thank you, I'll try to get this in during the next week's DjangoCon
sprints.

Just out of curiousity though, is the update basically
https://bitbucket.org/ned/jslex/changeset/2270dbe90afe and
https://bitbucket.org/ned/jslex/changeset/4f4bc539f533?

Yes, that's exactly what it is.

--Ned.