On 06/12/2011 03:35 PM, Aymeric Augustin wrote:
> I checked the SVN history. This "feature" was never documented, even
> before the reorganization at r8506. It appears in
> django/conf/__init__.py when magic-removal is merged (r2809).
>
> We just discussed it on IRC, and the consensus is that it dates back
> to before Django was open-sourced. It was probably only used at World
> Online.
>
> In my opinion, it's an anti-feature: 1 - It's un-pythonic: in
> essence, it's equivalent to an filesystem-based implementation of
> "from <package> import *", which was not rejected in Python for a
> good reason [1] 2 - like "from <module> import *", it's not
> explicit, 3 - you don't add apps to your settings file every day, so
> there's little to gain.
>
> I think it should be deprecated; since it was never documented, we
> could even remove it outright.

I agree with all of this. I would be in favor of simply removing the
wildcard feature with a note in the release notes, unless someone pops
up to argue that it's more widely-used than we think and it should be
deprecated instead, in which case I think a normal deprecation path is a
fine alternative.

Carl