On 12 Jul 2011 01:22, "Lachlan Musicman" <data...@gmail.com> wrote:

> >> Big tip - if you *actually* need a date_published field, use a string
:)

> > Sorry, but I don't get it.
> >
> > You mean a CharField, right ?
>
> Yah, sorry. I actually needed to write a "Books" app for some
> translation data entry that needed doing at my local Uni - and Char
> was plain easier for search and sort than Date - and very few books
> have the month/day details - think about what you actually need the
> date_published field for: search and sort and that's about it. You do
> not need to do any maths with it. Use the Char.

Why would you use a CharField for a date column? This is extremely bad
practise. You'd just simply use a DateField, then default to the 'first
available value' for missing fields in the date. For exampme, June 2010
would become 2011/06/01 00:00:00.

Unless you have a good reason not to use datefield..?