Hi All,

  I recently bumped into the same issue as reported in
#5617<https://code.djangoproject.com/ticket/5617>.
(And duplicate #6377 <https://code.djangoproject.com/ticket/6377>.)
IE: Django's default 500 view uses a Context, not a RequestContext, which
means any 500 templates which uses MEDIA_URL or suchlike won't work.

I thought I'd re-punt the suggestion given in one of the comments - attempt
to render using the RequestContext, and only fall back to the Context if
that fails.  It seems like a reasonable approach, but it looks like it's
something that didn't ever get properly considered, because no-one pushed
the issue to the list, as far as I can tell.

Where do we stand on this?  I'd have thought that a large amount of installs
are having to define their own 500 view function, which does nothing more
than the default view, other than to use a RequestContext so that the
template can render correctly.  Would there be any value in re-opening the
ticket given the suggested fallback approach?

Cheers,

  Tom.