On 29/09/11 21:40, Florian Apolloner wrote:

> On Tuesday, September 27, 2011 11:37:06 PM UTC+2, Peter wrote:
>
>     I'd just like to chime in to say this should definitely be part of
>     core - it's a common requirement, and whilst it could be a third party
>     app, it certainly feels much more at home in core.
>

> +1, especially if it works with pagination (which is often not the case
> for 3rd party apps which fall back to raw sql or so…)

It does work fine with pagination because it jumps into action only when
the QuerySet is evaluated, and then proceeds only via forcing evaluation
of the existing query.

The patch is going to need reworking, especially after some more
cleanups/changes have just been committed. I think the result will have
to be cleaner, with more explicit support in the related manager code
and better separation of concerns.

I also have a case where I really need it more than single depth, which
may motivate me to solve the problem more fully - but don't know when I
will get time for that!

Luke

--
"I think you ought to know I'm feeling very depressed." (Marvin the
paranoid android)

Luke Plant || http://lukeplant.me.uk/