To further note; while I second the OP's request, in its abstract, my
approach wouldn't be to add another contrib app. It would be to
implement a fairly low level API. Reuse of a third party app, or
abstracting some of the existing admin code, or any combination
thereof would be sufficient, but this should surely be in core.