Hi all,

On Wed, Oct 19, 2011 at 5:50 AM, Gabriel Hurley <gab...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks for the suggestions, Rich... I'll try not to repeat what others have
> said, but have a couple notes to add:
>
> (....)
>
> As for the rest: I don't believe in adding magic in order to save a couple
> lines of typing (explicit > implicit), but I am in favor of things we can do
> to encourage best practices where the community agrees. So to that task I
> wish you excellent luck!
>
> All the best,
>
>     - Gabriel

I think you hit the nail on the head. This sounds to me like exactly what we
need to discuss, regardless of how we address it. I'm not in favor of adding
too much magic to startapp/startproject, except for maybe the templates dir,
its relative import and explicitly listing every default settings
(AUTHENTICATION_BACKENDS included). Again, explicit > implicit.

I do however believe that we need to create a section in the docs with some
suggestions as to how to layout your project. Perhaps your blog post could
be turned into a documentation patch? Too often when I was starting with
Django I felt the need for such a guide, and even though we may not agree on
one single solution, we should at least point to some "canonical"
alternatives which we believe constitute best practices.

"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man how to fish and
you feed him for a lifetime."

This is a valid concern and request, and any experienced user will know
enough Python and Django to roll out their own customized setup.

Cheers,
AT