I've run into a bug that is exposed when using defer() or only() with
select_related(). A couple others have come across it, and there is an
existing ticket.

Exceptions appear to be silenced somewhere under normal circumstances
when evaluating `queryset` objects, which made it difficult to track
down, initially. I'm still not sure where the exceptions are silenced,
or if that should be changed. The exceptions appear to be raised when
running the test suite or when coercing a `query` object to `str`.

The symptom is an empty queryset being returned, when there are
actually results.

I've written a patch with tests that I think fixes the problem. I just
need somebody familiar with the ORM and defer/only to give feedback or
bump to RFC.

Malcolm, if you have a moment for a quick review that would be great
since you implemented the defer/only functionality and no doubt have
much greater. If you Otherwise, I'd really appreciate anyone familiar
with the ORM and defer/only taking a quick look :)

https://code.djangoproject.com/ticket/14694

Cheers.
Tai.