On 02/11/2011 09:43, Luke Plant wrote:
On 02/11/11 00:41, Marco Paolini wrote:

so if you do this:

for obj in Entry.objects.all():
  pass

django does this:
  - creates a cursor
  - then calls fetchmany(100) until ALL rows are fetched
  - creates a list containing ALL fetched rows
  - passes this list to queryset instance for lazy model instance creation

I didn't know that. (maybe we should document it somewhere...)

Now that I do, I also know it's time to move to postgresql...

And you will then find that the behaviour of the psycopg2 adapter means
that you get very similar behaviour - all rows are fetched as soon as
you start iterating - even if you do .iterator().
thanks for pointing that to me, do you see this as an issue to be fixed?

If there is some interest, I might give it a try.

Maybe it's not fixable, at least I can investigate a bit

Cheers,

Marco