Somewhat independently from the recent thread, I had been working in
getting tests running faster. I essentially reimplemented an idea that
Erik Rose[1] posted here last year, but I did it in a way that I think
is more DB independent (although... I'm using it and have tested it
only under PostgreSQL which is what I needed :) )

My customized TestCase is quite simple and available at
https://github.com/machinalis/django-fasttest

It's a bit rough but I'm using it for a real project with a ~2x
speedup (my tests make heavy use of fixtures so YMMV).

If there's interest, something like this could be polished into a
django patch; I'd like to hear the opinion of the core devs if they
are aligned with the idea, so I can polish the implementation and
submit a patch

Regards,
    D.

[1] The idea is loading fixtures once per TestCase instead of once per
test method, and use DB rollbacks after each test to return the DB to
the after-fixtures-just-loaded state.