On Sat, Jan 21, 2012 at 1:02 AM, Chris Wilson <ch...@aptivate.org> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I really like how the admin interface does a lot of the work for me in
> developing a site with basic CRUD functions, and a few free bonuses
> like pagination and list filtering.
>
> I agree with all the comments on #820 <https://code.djangoproject.com/
> ticket/820> requesting this feature (as well as the "view" permission
> which goes with it).
>
> This ticket and several others were closed because a design decision
> has been made that the admin interface is for admins only, and such a
> feature is out of scope. A lot of people believe that it should be in
> scope. Therefore I would like to politely request a reconsideration of
> this decision.

Even though I'm the person who wonfixed the ticket most recently, I'm
inclined to agree with you -- but for a different reason.

The original reason -- that the admin isn't intended as a general
purpose site, just a backend editing interface -- is still valid. I'm
not in favor of trying to turn the admin into something that people
will try to interpret as a publicly visible CMS.

However, over time, we've added a complication. We now have object
level permissions, so it's possible for an admin user to see a list of
objects, of which only *some* are editable. To me, the logical
extension of this feature is that you should be able to view some
objects in the admin, and edit others.

So, count this as a tentative +0 for the idea, qualified by the fact
that it in no way represents a promise to help this patch into trunk.
I've got 99 problems, but view permissions in the admin ain't one. :-)

I'd also point out that at DjangoCon.US last year, there were some
initial discussions about developing a "NewAdmin". I don't think this
effort has gone very far since then, but it's worth noting that there
is high-level agreement that Django's admin is in need of a bit of a
shakeup; increased functionality (like view permissions) might be
something that could fit into that broader change.

Yours,
Russ Magee %-)