For those wondering -- I've found out the cause. Google stopped
sending notifications about messages to django-dev awaiting
moderation, so there was a backlog of messages that needed to be
moderated. Karen Tracey discovered the backlog this morning, and
approved the messages; hence the flood.

Yours,
Russ Magee %-)