I am commonly facing this problem: I review a ticket in Trac. I review
the patch and make minor changes to the patch. Now, am I allowed to
check the patch as ready for checkin? My view is that yes, as long as
the changes are really minor (like comment cleanup).

If I do larger changes, it seems pretty clear I am not allowed to set
RFC. In that case, is the original submitter allowed to review my
patch (which he is now a co-author) and set it RFC? My view of this is
that yes, that is allowed. Reason is that it is enough that two people
agree on the approach, even if both have worked on the patch. Is my
view correct here?

And now for something completely different: what is the current view
of PEP-8 regarding line lengths? It seems lines longer than 80
characters have been checked in somewhat regularly. How long lines are
OK, then?

I would actually like to keep the lines less than 80 chars long. The
reason is the old Linus one: if you need longer lines, it is likely
you are doing something wrong. In kernel, they actually use 8-char
indents, so there is some limit to how many indent-blocks you should.
That would be good for us, too. There are too many places with 5 or
even more levels of indentation. Other reasons: shorter lines are
usually easier to read. My terminal still defaults to 80 chars wide.
If you break the 80-chars limit, then it is easy to write arbitrarily
long lines, as there is no other limit.

100, 120 or something else might be fine. But I think at least some
agreed upon line length limit would make sense. Of course, no hard
limits, but a generally agreed upon limit which you can break for good
reasons.

 - Anssi