2012/3/9 Łukasz Rekucki <lreku...@gmail.com>:
> On 9 March 2012 17:46, Tom Evans <tevans...@googlemail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Lets look at one isolated aspect. The User email field in d.c.auth is
>> too short. Emails can be up to 248 characters long, and d.c.auth only
>> allows 75.
>
> The latest RFC[1] actually specifies this as 256 *octets* with max of
> 64 octets for the local part and 255 octets for the domain name. So
> 248 *characters* would actually be incorrect and all the tedious and
> error prone fixing of every Django instance would just get wasted.

Sorry, 248 was a typo. If you look at my earlier reply in this thread,
I had correctly stated the maximum length of an email address as 254
*characters*.

If you check two paragraphs later in the RFC that you linked to, you
would see confirmation of this:

http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5321#section-4.5.3.1.3

You may also need to remind yourself what the definition of a path is.

As all email headers are either 7 or 8 bit encodings, describing 254
octets as 254 characters is perfectly valid.

None of this changes that django keeps shipping with bad defaults.
This was brought up for 1.1, 1.2, 1.3 and now 1.4.

Cheers

Tom